Isaiah describes the light and joy of the new life. He predicts four outreach ministries, and describes 13 benefits when we reach out to other people.
BBE translation. The waste land and the dry places will be glad; the lowland will have joy and be full of flowers.
glad … joy … full. These are symptoms of wholeness. You can tell if God has restored you to wholeness when your life is marked by gladness and joy and fullness.
The desert will rejoice and blossom. Apparently God will bring about climatic changes that will make the desert regions more fruitful.
VERSE 2. It will blossom abundantly, and rejoice even with joy and singing. Lebanon’s glory will be given to it, the excellence of Carmel and Sharon. They will see the LORD’s glory, the excellence of our God.
BBE translation. It will be flowering like the rose; it will be full of delight and songs; the glory of Lebanon will be given to it; the pride of Carmel and Sharon: they will see the glory of the Lord, the power of our God.
they will see the glory of the Lord. The LORD will display his glory, and they will see it. That can happen in many ways. In our own lives, we display God’s glory when we exhibit the lifestyle he calls us to live: gladness, joy, singing.
Isaiah shares two ways for us to reach out to other people:
- Strengthen the weak hands. Actually help people who are weak.
- make the feeble knees firm. Actually help people who are feeble.
NLT translation. Say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, and do not fear, for your God is coming to destroy your enemies. He is coming to save you.”
Isaiah shares two more ways for us to reach out to other people:
- Tell those who have a fearful heart. Speak words of faith to people who are afraid.
- He will come and save you. Exercise the Ministry of Evangelism and tell people about eternal salvation
Isaiah shares two benefits when we reach out to other people:
- eyes of the blind will be opened. Those who are blind to the things of God will finally be able to see. They will see his presence in their lives.
- ears of the deaf will be unstopped. Those who are deaf to the things of God will finally be able to hear. They will hear his voice.
Isaiah 30:21. Whether you turn your ears to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it. (NIV 1984 translation)
Isaiah shares three more benefits when we reach out to other people:
- the lame man will leap like a deer. People will no longer be “lame” in their “walk” with God.
- the tongue of the mute will sing. People will no longer be silent about God. Now they will shout aloud the praises of God.
- waters will break out in the wilderness. Streams of joy will burst forth in the desert.
BBE translation. And the burning sand will become a pool, and the dry earth springs of waters: the fields where the sheep take their food will become wet land, and water-plants will take the place of grass.
Isaiah shares four more benefits when we reach out to other people:
- burning sand will become a pool. For many people, life has been dry and empty. However, their lives will become a pool brimming with life.
- the dry earth springs of waters. The dry soil of their existence will become moist and life-giving.
- fields where the sheep take their food will become wet land. Churches will once again be alive.
- water-plants will take the place of grass. People will bear fruit everywhere they go.
Isaiah shares another benefit when we reach out to other people:
- a highway … The Holy Way. Isaiah is describing a whole new way of living. So many people yearn for it that a highway has to be constructed, just for them.
John the Baptist constructed that highway in the desert. He prepared the way for Jesus Christ and the multitudes that yearned for what he had to offer them.
This “holy highway” sounds like the “grand entrance” in 2 Peter 1:11:
2 Peter 1:11. Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. (NLT translation)
Isaiah shares two more benefits when we reach out to other people:
- No lion will be there. Evil people are prevented from walking the path of holiness. It isn’t that the LORD banishes them from the highway. Rather, it’s their own wickedness that prevents them.
- the redeemed will walk there. The only people who will walk in this new land will be those whom the Lord has redeemed. They were bought with the blood of the Lamb.
1 Peter 1:18-19. knowing that you were redeemed, not with corruptible things, with silver or gold, from the useless way of life handed down from your fathers, 19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb without blemish or spot, the blood of Christ,
VERSE 10. Then the LORD’s ransomed ones will return, and come with singing to Zion; and everlasting joy will be on their heads. They will obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.”
Isaiah shares one more benefit when we reach out to other people:
- with singing to Zion. God’s people sing with joy. And they will migrate to Jerusalem.
Unless otherwise noted, all Bible quotations on this page are from the World English Bible and the World Messianic Edition. These translations have no copyright restrictions. They are in the Public Domain.